Sunday, January 20, 2013

Never Gives Up



I have given up at least 28 times in the last four days. I tell myself that I can't stand it anymore. I don't want to live this way. It isn't my fault. I don't want to keep paying. This isn't fair. I can't bear this pain. I want it to stop. I can't do it. I don't want to. I won't.

But then, when I stop talking long enough to hear, the words are there,


Love:

is patient
is kind
is not jealous
is not boastful
is not proud
is not rude
does not demand its own way
is not irritable
does not keep record of being wronged
does not rejoice about injustice
rejoices whenever truth wins out
never gives up
never loses faith
is always hopeful
endures through every circumstance

I Corinthians 13:4-7

True love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful and endures through every circumstance. 

Even though these words say things that I already know in my head, my heart needs to hear them again and again. 

Yes, I'm tired. I can't do this. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

But He can

He will help me be patient. 
He will help me to not keep a record of wrongs.
He will help me to be hopeful.
He will help me endure all things.
He will give me hope.
He will help me not give up.


Lysa Terkeurst just shared this prayer on her Facebook page for others who might need to pray this for a friend in their lives. 

Dear Lord, please bless her with Your peace. Give her strength to hand over the worries, cares, and loneliness. Take the pain and squelch the doubt. Remind her You are her God: the Great I AM. Nothing is impossible with You. And You do turn all things for good. Be with her tonight and grant her sweet, safe, sound sleep. Thank You for Your presence. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

In 26 minutes it got 493 likes, 51 comments and 220 shares. Apparently, there are a lot of women who might want to give up tonight. Thank you, Jesus, for never giving up on us. Help us to hang in there holding onto Your promises. 

Reminding myself that God is good all the time and that all the time, God is good.

1 comment:

  1. My heart breaks for you and swells with pride that you aren't giving up like I did. Love you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete