Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Virtual Christmas Card

Well, its always something I put off until the last minute. I don't mean to. I look for the right card early. I often purchase beautiful ones in early November. I even address the envelopes a little at a time in the beginning of December. I choose special stamps at the post office just for your card.

The picture over the years has been a little more difficult to get. As one, two, three, four little faces were added, the probability of all of them smiling and looking at the camera has fallen. The smiles tend to fade after and hour and 100 pictures later. 3 years ago, they looked so forlorn we didn't even send out the cards. We were afraid that someone from the Department of Child Services would investigate the unhappiness of the children. For the past few years, my heart hurts a little just to look at them because one of my little faces is missing.

I keep trying year after year for a few reasons.

1. I want to tell ones I love at least once a year that we think of them, care for them, and wish them well.
2. I love showing off my beautiful children.
3. I enjoy receiving the gift our pictures of your families and I hope that the portrait of my family brings
    a smile to your face like it does mine.

This year, I bought cards the first week in December. I thought that I would just make prints and send out a card that I could write in. I wanted to be able to tell the person receiving it how special they are to us. Tess was sick the night of the church Christmas program so we were not able to take our family picture that night like I planned. Oh well, I decided to just dress the children up and take a picture of them. That session went well and we got a beautiful one. Then, I didn't get to load them and order any pictures until last week. I sent them to a local place instead of ordering them online like I usually do because I thought that it would be quicker. I picked up the prints just in time. I would address them that night and send them out the next day. The cards would arrive just before Christmas.

I opened the picture package and pulled out the prints. My heart sank. The pictures were mistakenly cropped. Ty and Dinah were in the middle, so they were safe. But poor Tess and Amelia were only half there.

"O.K., I GIVE UP!" I declared in a moment of defeat.

The moment passed and my hope was renewed when I thought I would send you a virtual Christmas card! (For those that don't have e-mail, I am sorry. I will try to get something out for the new year.) This way, I can attach several photos.

We do love you. We do think of you. We do wish you a Christmas full of joy. We hope that those that are hurting will be comforted. We pray provision for those with need. May your hearts be filled with the Spirit.

Merry Christmas.





Eric, Anna, Ty, Tess, Amelia, and Dinah Lancaster


"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
Mark 10:45

Becoming overcome with wonder, humility, and thankfulness,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment