Sunday, February 16, 2014

Come Fly With Me



I haven't posted a blog since September.  I've taken long breaks before. Oddly enough, my blogging hiatuses usually occur when I have the most to say. Its just that I can't find a way to put my feelings into words in a way that would do justice to them. With all those months and words floating around in my head and heart, I in no way imagined that this would be the blog that I would break my small silence with. But here you go:

The other day as I readied to leave the house, I reached up into the top of the coat closet to grab a shawl. The weather was much warmer than the frigid days that we had been experiencing. The shawl was a beautiful navy wool one that I received as a gift from a friend. She had been to Scotland and thoughtfully brought me this souvenir on her return. 

I threw it over my shoulders, grabbed Dinah and hurried out the door. I had a couple of bags on my shoulders and because of them I didn't think much about the awkward way the wrap fell around me. I just thought I hadn't placed it right. I drove as quickly and safely as I could to drop Dinah at Papa's house so I could head to work. 

Time was of the essence because I was late. I deposited Dinah at Papa's with a whirl of hugs and kisses. I turned into work parking lot on two wheels, flew in the back door and hung my wrap on the coat hook in our office.

I worked productively all day long. Making a difference. Saving lives. Loving on folks. Doing paperwork for Jesus.

With happiness and fulfillment at the end of the long day, I put my purse on my shoulder, take my shawl from the hook, wrap myself in it again, say goodbye to my co-workers, and exit the building. I climb into my van and I start the ignition and sit to wait for it to warm up. I sigh with contentment and glance down at my cloak. I begin to really look at it for the first time that day. The quality of the material was poor. Huh. The wrap from Scotland is of the finest wool.

I pull the fabric around in front of me to inspect it further. I find a tag in the corner. It reads "Continental Airlines".

I had been wearing an airline blanket for warmth and style.

I guess that's what I get for taking it without the Airline's permission.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it!! Welcome back. I have missed your wit and beautiful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect!

    And I'm sure this raised a smile in the offices Continental.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/02/sex-and-married-christian-part-3-what.html

    ReplyDelete