Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thoughts on a Winter Evening

The weather has been a continual topic of conversation for the past couple of months.

"Will it snow?"
"Oh, I hope so! Snow Day! No school!"
"It is going to snow again!"
"I like snow, just don't send ice."
"We have got to go to school."
"Snow, snow, snow, I'm ready for some warm weather."
"I can't wait until summer."
"Oh, this weather is so beautiful! 60 degrees in January! I love this!"
"Oh, no! Down in the 20's! I hate this! I just want to be warm again."

Comments about the weather amuse me. Overwhelmingly, it seems to me, unless it is 70 degrees, clear, and sunny, not many enjoy the season that they are in at the moment. We complain about the cold, the snow, the heat, and the humidity. We hate the rain then we need rain because it is too dry.

A friend wrote about all of the complaints she heard about our present weather conditions. They were numerous. She urged everyone to think about the good things instead about the cold weather instead of the bad. I agree with her and hope you will practice that. I offer another thought here.

To turn even our complaining into something useful, I ask, How would we know we love the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter? We wouldn't enjoy the snow if it was all we ever saw. If it was hot everyday of our lives we wouldn't ever be able to appreciate a wood burning fire.

It is like that with almost anything worth having. I don't enjoy the flavor of food quite so much unless I am hungry. I don't get that satisfying, "Ahhh" that cool water brings unless I am thirsty. I can't enjoy a warm blanket or a crackling fireplace unless I am cold.

I enjoy a hug most when I am feeling a bit insecure. I love friendship because I have been lonely. A smile is more precious amongst other angry looks. I appreciate prosperity because I have known need. I relish family because I have seen the pain when it falls apart. I seize life because I have seen it slip away.

We wouldn't know the good without the bad. We wouldn't need the Light without the darkness. He can't fill us up until we are empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment