Saturday, December 17, 2011

Desert Alleluias

I drove home this morning in a fog; a fog of the mind. It was made partly of sleep deprivation and partly of sadness. My soul was laden with the pain of others suffering around me. Oh that I could ease it! But God doesn't need me to fix anything. He wants me to trust Him. As I pushed my heavy thoughts and heart heavenward, God transformed my groanings into alleluias. 

Psalm 63 (NLT)


A psalm of David, regarding a time when David was in the wilderness of Judah.

1 O God, you are my God;
I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
where there is no water.

2 I have seen you in your sanctuary
and gazed upon your power and glory.

3 Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
how I praise you!

4 I will praise you as long as I live,
lifting up my hands to you in prayer.

5 You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
I will praise you with songs of joy.

6 I lie awake thinking of you,
meditating on you through the night.

7 Because you are my helper,
I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.

8 I cling to you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.

9 But those plotting to destroy me will come to ruin.
They will go down into the depths of the earth.

10 They will die by the sword
and become the food of jackals.

11 But the king will rejoice in God.
All who trust in him will praise him,
while liars will be silenced.


Charles Spurgeon writes about Psalm 63:


"A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. This was probably written while David was fleeing from Absalom; certainly at the time he wrote it he was king (Ps 63:11), and hard pressed by those who sought his life. David did not leave off singing because he was in the wilderness, neither did he in slovenly idleness go on repeating Psalms intended for other occasions; but he carefully made his worship suitable to his circumstances, and presented to his God a wilderness hymn when he was in the wilderness. There was no desert in his heart, though there was a desert around him. We too may expect to be cast into rough places ere we go hence. In such seasons, may the Eternal Comforter abide with us, and cause us to bless the Lord at all times, making even the solitary place to become a temple for Jehovah. The distinguishing word of this Psalm is EARLY. When the bed is the softest we are most tempted to rise at lazy hours; but when comfort is gone, and the couch is hard, if we rise the earlier to seek the Lord, we have much for which to thank the wilderness."


You see, God is good all the time. He is steadfast. He is perfect. He is wisdom. He is LOVE.


When you are surrounded by desert, drink from the Wellspring that abides within you. If you don't know Jesus, it would be my pleasure to introduce you.
(To read more of Charles Spurgeon's thoughts on this Psalm click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment