Saturday, December 17, 2011

Offspring Anecdotes

I can't describe to you the delight I take in my children. I love them to pieces and cherish every second I have with them. Here are a few things that have happened lately to make me smile.

____________________________________________________________

I was readying to go out to town and run some errands a few days ago and asked Ty to get dressed so that he could go with me. He descended the stairs in t-shirt and shorts. Since it was 45 degrees outside I asked him to go put some pants on. He stopped short, huffed and vented his frustration, "Momma, I don't have any clean jeans that fit." He then sighed and seemed perplexed. "My clothes just haven't been coming back to me like they usually do."

Let me translate:

This is the way it usually works: Ty puts his dirty clothes in the magic dirty clothes portal (basket) and every day when he comes home from school, miraculously, a stack of clean clothes is on his bed.

I guess I would be a little miffed if my portal wasn't working either. Bless his heart. He got a run down on how the "portal" works and how he can be take part in the "magic" everyday.

___________________________________________________________________

Tess came to me with a long face one evening and lowered head.

I asked, "Why the long face, pet?"

She sat down on the bed beside me, sighed and lifted her large eyes my way. "Mom, I have a problem."

I said, "Aww." and then asked, "How can I help?"

Attempting not to smile she inquired, "Momma, were you popular in school?'

I replied, "No, not really."

She shrugged her shoulders, sighed and shook her head. "Well, I am. So, I guess you can't help me then."

I snickered a little. (I couldn't help it. Her confidence often borders on conceit. She just considers them the reality that she has to deal with.)

She rolled her eyes and said, "MOMMA!" We hugged and then she asked, "Was anyone in our family popular?"

I laughed and said, "Yes. Aunt Emmy or Aunt Rachel could help you."

She said, "Yeah, I thought so.I'm glad we have THEM."

"Yeah, me too."

I finally cajoled the "problem" out of her and we had a long discussion about friendship. popularity, humility, and what is really worth striving for.
___________________________________________________________

I returned home to my family on Friday evening just in time to change and head out again to go to work. As I washed my face and put on my scrubs, Amelia kept me company.She told me about her school Christmas party that they had that day. She proudly displayed all of the lip gloss and lotion she got from her teacher and friends. She was talking a mile a minute with her shiny, pink, glossy mouth and literally bouncing off the bedroom furniture. I asked her what she had been eating.

She smiled largely, jumped in front of me with her arms raised and spread high in the air, her feet out wide and bouncing at the knees she cried, "We had sweets at school and I FEEL GREAT!!!"

___________________________________________________________

Dinah's new favorite thing to do is to run up to the Christmas tree, stop short by about a foot, turn around and back up slowly until the branches touch her back. She then bends at the knees and moves up and down while the branches rub her back side. My innovative little toddler was able to take the back scratcher off her Christmas list to make room for another baby doll.


Soak up your time with your babies (big ones and small ones). Each moment or action has the potential to be a memory. Make it a good one!

1 comment: