Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Out and About



We had planned to take Granny out for a drive this past Saturday because it was so beautiful that day but it didn't happen. That's O.K. though. Life doesn't always go as planned (understatement of my life).
So yesterday, Gran was out of the house for the first time since she arrived at our house two weeks ago.

Since baseball season has begun, my man is not able to help get the kids to their after school activities as much as he usually does. With Papa's (Eric's dad and my children's "nanny") help, the kids got home from school. Tess had her piano lesson to go to, I had a bill that needed to be paid, and I wanted to see if I could catch some of the baseball game from the car.

So we, Granny, the children and I, set off at 5pm with the goal of getting to piano practice and paying the bill. If we could get that accomplished then we would be successful. At first Granny asked, "Where are we going?", "Are you taking me home?", "How did I get here?" repeatedly. After I answered them several times, she settled in and seemed to be more comfortable.

We paid our bill through the drive-thru and made it to Mrs. Ginger's just in time for piano. We sat in the car during Tess's 20 minute lesson and enjoyed the sunshine and watched her teacher's 2 dogs chase cars and joggers.

After her lesson, all was going well, so we went out for a hamburger as a treat. We ate in the car so that I didn't have to work on corralling everyone in a restaurant. As we ate we headed over to the baseball field. We pulled up at the top of the hill overlooking the field. Tess and Amelia ran down to help in the concession stand and Ty went to the dug out. I explained to Gran who we were watching and we settled in to enjoy the game for as long as she and Dinah could stand.

Gran mentioned after a bit that she didn't realize how cold it was. I immediately began fussing over her to make sure she was warm. She said, "I'm fine. Look at them though." All of the spectators were wrapped in coats, hats, and blankets. And if they weren't you could tell that they wished they were. So we were happy with our spot in the van.

The view from the hill is a good one. The only thing that is obscured is the first base/center field sight line because of the visitor dug out. The problem with that spot is the possibility, or maybe a better word would be probability of being hit by a foul ball. Our friend and favorite geometry teacher, Scott Parvin, reminded me of the spot on Mrs. Bettie Ketchum's windshield that one hit a long time ago. I laughed and told him that I was aware of the risk and I was taking it. What do we have insurance for if not for foul balls?

As I sat there, I thought of some other baseball fans that watched from their cars on the hill. As mentioned, Mrs. Bettie Ketchum, school board member and faithful Biggersville sports fan, watched as many as she could from there. My dear friends, Mrs. Dick and Mrs. Louann, also watched many a game from their car. I thought about how they didn't let their circumstances and situations interfere with their devotion to their family, friends and community.

As one who tends to shy away from the public and would love to never have to leave her home, I have to fight allowing my care of Gran to be an excuse to check out from life. I just have to find new ways to be present and active in the lives of those close to me and others in my community. I pray that as life changes that with the Lord's help that I will find balance and peace as I travel in this new direction.

I kept Gran out just shy of 3 hours! She never tired, became anxious, or asked to go home. In the car, on the highway, as darkness settled in around us, she looked over at me, laughed and said, "I haven't been out this late in a long time!" Every few minutes she laughed to herself again and would repeat her observation. I smiled with her and thought that, yes, staying out until 7:30 on a school night was the wildest thing that she, Dinah and I had done in a while. We may be out and about more often.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you are recording this journey you and Granny are on!

    ReplyDelete