Monday, March 11, 2013

What A Difference A Week Makes


Today marks one week that Granny has been here at the Lancaster's house. She has been officially made a Lancaster by Amelia, who while making dinner-time place cards wrote, "Granny Lancaster", for Gran's card. :)

I had written that I was concerned about Sunday coming round and not upsetting her when she asked about church. Well, guess what? She asked, "What day is it?" only once yesterday. It was late and almost time for bed when she did. After I said, "Sunday", I held my breath waiting for her to ask about church but she never did.  Guess what the first thing she asked about this morning (a Monday) over breakfast? "Are we going to church this morning?" Thankfully, I could truthfully say, "No Gran, today is Monday." Poor thing let out a sigh and prayed heavenward, "Thank You, Lord, because I'm too tired to go."

The past few days have shown nothing but improvement. Gran has been staying awake most of the day and sleeping all night without incident in her hospital bed. She has known who I am every day. She recognizes other people as well. She is reading some and has been able to do some other activities as well. For instance, she mashed the bananas for our banana bread yesterday. The "Road To" marathon with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby was a hit also. (The Eric and the kids thought they were funny too. --"Patty Cake , Patty Cake, Baker's Man...."--- You'll have to watch to get that one. )

It has been quite a pleasure to have her with me and to be able to love on her all the time. I have such peace in helping meet her needs. I am so thankful to be able to care for her and I really think that she is doing well here and is improving. She is remembering little things that I would usually have to remind her about. She even asked today, "Am I mending or un-mending?", meaning,  "Am I getting better or worse". I was able to smile and say, "Gran, you are getting better every day." She replied, "Well, I thought so."

Mom came this evening and sat with her so that Eric and I could go to an appointment in Tupelo. Before we came home I stopped in Joann and scoped the aisles for crafts that Gran might be able to do.
I found quite a few things for her to try. I hope she will be as happy about them as I am. If not, I am sure that Tess and Amelia won't mind trying their hand at them.

Thank you for continuing to pray for us.

Anna Becoming

1 comment:

  1. Mama is loving it. I think all the interaction with Anna and the kids really helps her to stay in this world. When I sat with her today she knew everything that was happening and was not agitated at all. Thanks you God and thank you Anna. Thanks to the whole Lancaster family.

    ReplyDelete