Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pete, Repeat, and Me



One of the things in life that annoys the most is having to repeat information, requests, or instructions after I feel I have taken the time to deliver them clearly and I have received confirmation that it was understood.

Case in point: Asking or telling my children to brush their teeth. 
                      Children: Yes ma'am
                      5 minutes later hear said children 
                      goofing off upstairs. 
                      Me: Have you brushed your teeth?
                      Children: No, ma'am
                    
I don't understand what happens on the way to the bathroom sink. The same thing happens when I ask them to go take a bath, or clean their room, or make sure they take their things from the car. It isn't only with the children. They are just the ones I deal with most. Adult recipients often seem to do the same thing. My patience in these instances is less than desired and/or required I really have issue with it and have to work to keep from being so irritated that I explode. (Explosions have occurred on too many an occasion.)

So lets just consider it ironic that God decided to allow my Gran to move in with me. I have to repeat myself round the clock. What is surprising is how patient I can be with her. I guess it is understanding that she has a cognitive impairment and most of the other folks especially my intelligent children don't have that excuse. 

Lest you all think I have a supernatural kindness at all times toward Gran, I want you to know that I do catch myself, especially when I am a bit overwhelmed about what I have to get done or have 5 people needing my attention at once, getting irritated when I have to answer a question 12 times (not exaggerating).  Dinah has also decided to see if she can push me over the edge that I teeter on frequently. When Gran pauses in a line of questioning, Dinah fills the silence with the same question that Gran has taken to repeating. I now live with Pete and Repeat. I didn't even try to count the times that I answered, "Where are we going?" from the two of them in a 20 minute ride the other day.

I have to take deep breaths. I have to remind myself that it doesn't do anyone any good to get upset about it. She can't help it. I should be glad that I'm the one that gets to answer these questions. Answering them helps her.

The moments pass and we all relax. I look back on them and know that it is me that has to change. He has allowed this for me to be better. Its me who has to soften and become kinder and more long-suffering. God help me.

I want to extend mercy and grace like He has extended it to me. I know I am more guilty than those I become impatient with. Oh, that someday, somehow, they would see Christ in me!


1 Timothy 1:15-17

Amplified Bible (AMP)
15 The saying is sure and true and worthy of full and universal acceptance, that Christ Jesus (the Messiah) came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am foremost.
16 But I obtained mercy for the reason that in me, as the foremost [of sinners], Jesus Christ might show forth and display all His perfect long-suffering and patience for an example to [encourage] those who would thereafter believe on Him for [the gaining of] eternal life.
17 Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible and immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever (to the ages of ages). Amen (so be it).

Anna Becoming

1 comment: